What is Maskne ?
Wearing a mask has become a daily reality. This prolonged contact with the textile leads to irritation of our skin. We tell you all about the "maskne" and the ways to fight it!
This new term appeared by the combination of the words "mask" and "acne" to describe the imperfections of the skin which appear in the areas of the face contacting the mask, around the mouth and the nose. The causes of these imperfections are multiple and include:
1 - The heat and humidity from the breath that is trapped under the mask provides a "microclimate" conducive to the proliferation of microbes and bacteria on the skin.
2 - The pores are clogged with excess sebum produced by the skin due to poor oxygenation.
3 - The movement and friction of the face cover against the surface layer of the skin causes irritation or even inflammation of the epidermis.
As a result, the skin shows signs of inflammation similar to acne such as redness, pimples, blackheads, and sometimes even other lesions or itching. It has been found that even people who do not have skin prone to acne breakouts can suffer from this phenomenon.
How to control the maskne ?
To limit the manifestations of maskne, we must act on two fronts: skin care and proper wearing of the mask.
1. The routine for the care and cleaning of the skin
- Deep washing of the skin morning and evening with a formula adapted to your skin type is essential. If your skin is oily, choose an oil-free formula; if it is dry, it is rather preferable for a treatment composed of nourishing ingredients, which will balance the production of natural oil. In all cases, it is recommended to choose a gentle cleanser, which will not be aggressive on the already irritated epidermis. For this we offer our Face Cleanser with Bio-Resveratrol Nassani.Designed to soften the skin by eliminating sebum and impurities, it soothes dry and sensitive skin. It also stabilizes normal skin and perfectly cleanses the oily skin part of "maskne" by cleaning up the pores.
- Strengthen and nourish the epidermis. In addition to cleansing your skin, it is important to nourish it and provide it with the natural defense mechanism. For this we recommend combining the cleanser with our Acne-Prone Skin Care product which provides nutrition and replenishment for healthy skin and epidermis defense while keeping it hydrated. It is 100% natural and remove all maskne symptoms in a short time. It helps decrease the bacteria on your skin and increase the cellular turnover keeping those pore clogging cells from building up.
- Regular cleaning after wearing the mask for a long time. After a long day with the mask, feel free to wash your face with water or even Nassani Facial Cleanser.
- Moisturize the skin after each cleansing using a non-comedogenic treatment. For this you can get our Rose Water and Bio Resveratrol Face Mist which moisturizes and nourishes the skin with its unique formula containing Rosa Damascena water, Vitamin C and Bio Resveratrol.
- Exfoliate once or twice a week with a non-abrasive peel, to free the pores and remove the dead cells accumulated on the epidermis.
- Remember to apply a purifying product every week to support the action of the other treatments!
2. The mask
- Preferably wear a reusable 100% cotton face cover.
- Maintain it properly. If it is a fabric mask, wash it off after each use. If it is a surgical mask, replace it as soon as it becomes wet or dirty.
- Adjust it correctly. Make sure it covers your mouth and nose well, and is adapted the contours of our face, but do not overtighten to avoid friction on the skin.
- Do not keep it longer than necessary. For example, take it off as soon as you get in the car after leaving the grocery store, school or daycare: let the skin breathe as much as possible!